In my recent readings and work with small businesses I have developed a list of five questions that a consultant should get answers to as early in prospect relationship as possible. Once you are hired (or have invested in a long-term sales cycle relationship) getting these answers provides little to no value.
- What is the purpose of their organization?
- Are they looking for an expert, a pair of hands, or collaborator?
- Are you being hired to potentially blame someone if it goes wrong or to reduce chance of it going wrong?
- Do they view this purchase as an expense or an investment?
- What is the state of their employee restrooms?
Hat tip to Wayne Schulz for the last question.